I remember around four years back, Airtel Tamilnadu was offering free unlimited gprs with the service name ”Net On Phone” (NOP). It was said that airtel allowed free GPRS only to make awareness of GPRS among the subscribers and try it. The idea was to get more customers for GPRS service and monetize it after sometime. Later when the GPRS usage grown as expected, they stopped the free ”Net On Phone” GPRS connection and started selling the ”Airtel Mobile Office” service.
Although Airtel started charging for mobile internet, still it did not lose the GPRS customers. Rather kept growing. This was because Airtel allowed unlimited bandwidth plan for all the packages they offered. It was quite popular among the customers because other competitors like Vodofone (Formerly Hutch) was charging their customers with pay per internet usage and with additional monthly rent for the service. Airtel was standing alone to offer unlimited internet for cheap prices with out any fixed rent.
The Airtel GPRS package in the Tamilnadu circle was(Yes it ”was”) as follows,
- Daily Pack – Rs 20/Day/Unlimited
- Weekly Pack – Rs 75/Week/Unlimited
- Monthly Pack – Rs 375/Month/Unlimited
Today I received a SMS from Airtel that it withdraws the unlimited GPRS packs. Below is that SMS.
Pl note, Unlimited GPRS packs will be withdrawn effective 06-April. Enjoy GPRS service with the pay as you use facility only @30p/50KB browsing charges. Call 17134.
So there is no more unlimited GPRS internet stuff where slowly & slowly the word ”Unlimited” will vanish from Indian mobile and internet industry very soon. Already airtel started to cap their unlimited broadband usage under fair usage policy where customers internet speed will be reduced drastically after reaching certain bandwidth for the month.
So now what should we do due to this unlimited GPRS withdrawal by Airtel?
- Since Airtel GPRS pack comes with zero rental, it may be activated by default on the all sim which already using GPRS. You should deactivate GPRS to avoid the data usage charges. OR
- There are few mobile applications like Email, Google latitude, messengers which will automatically attempt tomake GPRS connection when ever required. So you may need to change the settings on the apps or be ready to pay the additional data usage charges.